Listening to a song in C minor, in all its ability to haunt you with that certain tone, I become lost, transferred. It has been a long time since I've been in this key, since I tend to favor D minor, and lately, A minor. When we discover new tunes to our liking, it's rare that they're in a key of our choice anyhow.
..:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
I remember being obsessed with anything melancholy and minor when I was about 8 and still new to the piano. Anything that would catch my ear with a hollow flavor was immediately added to my growing list of likes.
The first time I heard "Green Sleeves" as a kid, I was hooked. I wasn't able to be satisfied until I hunted it out on my piano keys. After that I owned the song, and still do; it is inside my soul.
Music is incredible. When I find a slice of free time to spare, my great thrill is to pick through my library, in hope of a new acquantance or refinding an old friend.
I so wish that I might have known my grandfather, as he was an excellent jazz musician, and I think we would have connected at that level to a high degree. However, our times we not parallel, or even able to overlap with one another's steps…
My only memory of him is when I was young, new at the piano. My dad asked Jimmy, my grandpa, to play for me, but he wouldn't. I'm not sure why, I think he was embarassed. I don't hold it against him, I never did, but I do wish he would have let me listen.
By the time I am realizing all this, REALLY realizing, he is long gone.
Melancholy strains of a song in E minor are distracting my thoughts, so I'll stop now...
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment